The difference between polymer lithium batteries and ternary lithium batteries
From the use of materials to distinguish, the polymer lithium battery cathode materials are divided into lithium cobaltate, lithium manganate, ternary materials and lithium iron phosphate materials, the anode is graphite, the battery works basically the same principle. The main difference between polymer lithium battery cathode materials is the electrolyte. Liquid lithium ion batteries use liquid electrolytes. Polymer lithium ion batteries are replaced by solid polymer electrolytes. This polymer can be either dry or colloidal. Of these, polymer gel electrolytes are currently mostly used.
The ternary polymer lithium battery uses lithium nickel cobalt manganate or lithium nickel cobalt aluminate as the cathode material. The ternary composite cathode material uses nickel salt, cobalt salt, and manganese salt as the raw material. The ratio of cobalt and manganese can be adjusted according to actual needs. A battery with a ternary material as a positive electrode has higher safety than a lithium cobaltate battery, but the voltage is too low. Among them, lithium iron phosphate has a long charge and discharge cycle life as a cathode material, but its disadvantages are that energy density, high and low temperature performance, and charge-discharge rate characteristics all have large gaps, and the production cost is relatively high. Encountered the bottleneck of development; lithium manganate battery has low energy density, poor cycle stability and storage performance at high temperature, so lithium manganate is only used as the international first-generation power lithium battery cathode material; and multiple materials have comprehensive performance and The dual advantage of cost has been increasingly concerned and recognized by the industry, gradually surpassing lithium iron phosphate and lithium manganate as the mainstream technology route.
Advantages of polymer lithium batteries
1. The working voltage of the single battery is as high as 3.6v ~ 3.8v, which is much higher than the 1.2V voltage of nickel-hydrogen and nickel-cadmium batteries.
2. Large capacity density, its capacity density is 1.5 ~ 2.5 times that of nickel-hydrogen battery or nickel-cadmium battery or higher
3. The self-discharge is small, and the capacity loss is small after being left for a long time.
4. Long life, the cycle life can reach more than 500 times under normal use.
5. There is no memory effect, it is not necessary to empty the remaining power before charging, which is convenient to use.
6. Good safety performance: The polymer lithium battery uses aluminum-plastic soft packaging in structure, which is different from the metal case of the liquid battery. Once the safety hazard occurs, the liquid battery is easy to explode, and the polymer battery can only be air drum at most.
Advantages of ternary lithium battery
Since the beginning of 2014, the ternary material lithium battery has been continuously modified in all aspects, and the number of cycles has been increasing. At present, the cost has been appropriately increased, and it can reach more than 1500 times. Moreover, the safety performance of ternary material lithium batteries is also continuously improving, and more and more Move closer to lithium iron phosphate. New nickel-cobalt-aluminum new ternary materials that have appeared in the past two years, although they have higher environmental requirements in the battery manufacturing process, their stability and safety have been further improved, and they have been approved and trial-produced by many battery factories. The ternary lithium battery has a high voltage platform. The voltage platform is an important indicator of battery energy density and determines the basic efficiency and cost of the battery. Therefore, the selection of battery materials is of great significance. The higher the voltage platform, the larger the specific capacity. It must be the same volume, weight, and even the same ampere-hour battery. The ternary material lithium battery with a higher voltage platform has a longer range. The voltage platform of the ternary material is significantly higher than that of lithium iron phosphate, the high line can reach 4.2 volts, and the discharge platform can reach 3.6 or 3.7 volts. High energy density and high tap density.